Running out of guests for your podcast...say it isn't so? While you may feel as though your podcast guest well has gone dry, there are countless opportunities that exist to find guests for you show. Heck, with over 7 billion people on this planet, you can bet your bottom dollar that at least 12, 30 or 50 of them would want to talk to you! So how do you find these people? First things first, here are two simple facts that you must remember when it comes to finding guests for your show:
- People like to talk about their business, themselves and their area of expertise. If you show an interest in what they have to say, they'll most likely be happy to come on your show to chat. All you have to do is ask.
- Of course, some people may not have the time or inclination. That's okay. Understand that a response like, "No, thank you," does not mean failure. Move on to the next prospect. Keep going.
Now that we've gotten the facts out of the way. Here are some tips for finding guests for your podcast.
- Reach out to other hosts in your podcast genre to see if they would be a guest on your show. I've done this in the past and hosts are almost always happy to oblige. Plus, it might allow for some cross promotion too.
- Social media is your friend! Find guests on Twitter, Facebook, etc. You follow people you like, I am sure. A quick direct message invite to someone that has caught your eye, is all it takes. Seriously, it is that easy. When I first started production of, A Virtual Perception, Twitter was my go-to place for finding and conversing with potential guests.
- Invite people you know. If you are new to podcasting, it's a good idea to start with guests that you know. Invite friends, associates, clients or even family members. This will allow you to hone your interview skills. Then branch out from there.
- When you do branch out, don't limit yourself! Maybe there is a particular person that you've always wanted to have on your show, but because of their status you feel intimidated. First, stop that! Second, INVITE THEM. Don't limit yourself. Once you realize this, the podcast guest floodgates will open.
Bottom line: People LOVE to talk about their area of expertise. If you see they are chattering about it on social media or on their website (via a blog, etc) - nine times out of ten they are going to say yes if you invite them. It's just a matter of reaching out and asking.